DAVID CADY, RWPA #S29053. In 1781, he was serving under Captain Solomon Woodworth's Company of Lieutenant Colonel Willett's Regiment and was wounded in the left elbow in an ambush near Fort Herkimer.

HENRY COVELL, RWPA #S30954. In July of 1781, his brother, Rogers Savage, enlisted for a term of four months in Captain [edit] Skinner's Company of Colonel [edit]'s Regiment of Albany County Militia and about the first of August he enlisted as a substitute for his said brother. About September 7, 1781, his company marched from Albany to Schenectady to Schoharie for a few days and from thence to Fort Plain and then Fort Herkimer where they joined Lieutenant Colonel Marinus Willett's Corps. While at Fort Herkimer in late August, he transferred into Captain Solomon Woodworth's Company of Rangers:

. . . Soon after a party of Indians was discovered between East & West Canada Creeks & our Company was ordered to go in pursuit -- We took rations for seven days and with a company of 42 privates besides officers and 5 Stockbridge indians & our Oneida we start from Fort Herkimer on the 7th day of Sept crossed West Canada Creek and soon after came across the trail of the Indians and after following a few miles further we came up with enemy when a Skirmish ensued and the Indians apparently fled, when our Captain (Woodworth) exclaimed "Hurra, men the rascals run" -- he a few moments however we found ourselves surrounded, and all of our officers and 23 privates fell in the conflict - the remainder except myself and 5 others were either wounded and tomahawked by the indians or made their escape back to the fort - I was taken with five other prisoners to Fort Niagara and after running the gauntlet twice was dressed in Indian Style and given as a present to Col Butler, a Tory officer who commanded a Regt of Rangers in the British Army - On my refusing to take arms against my Country I was taken & confined in the guard house where I was kept about 12 days & taken from thence to Carlton Island at the base of the River St. Lawrence where I was confined in a dungeon for 4 weeks on very close face, was taken from thence to an Island about 40 miles above Montreal called Rison or Rebel Island & then imprisoned about 11 months was taken from thence to Montreal & Quebec & was then (Quebec) taken on board a British vessel and carried to Boston where I was exchanged on the 28th day of Nov. 1782 . . .

JOHN L. SCHERMERHORN, RWPA #W17785. Schermerhorn states: . . . That he enlisted in the Town of Philipstown (as then called) in the County of Rensselaer State of New York on the 21st day of August in the year 1782 under Captain Houghstresser for four months was mustered in Albany soon there after & joined Capt Woodworth's Company of Col Willett's Regiment and marched to Fort Plain Capt Woodworths Company was ordered out on a scouting tour marched up the Mohawk river to Fort Herkimer in the month of October crossed the river at the Fort and marched up East Canada Creek early in the morning had not proceeded far when we were furiously attacked by a body of Indians consisting of about 400 (as afterwards informed) fought them until the whole company were killed except this deponent and six others who were taken prisoners and conveyed by the indians to Buffalo this deponent was there taken by a squaw and adopted as her son who had lost him and in the aforesaid battle the indians stated they had nering one hundred of their men killed . . .

BERIAH THOMAS, RWPA #S14672. In 1781 he was hired by a class to serve a term of nine months under Captain Edward Perlle and went to Saratoga for a fortnight before being ordered to Fort Plain on the Mohawk River where

. . . Captain Solomon Woodworth had the priviledge of picking from the Regiment forty Men to be used as Scouts -- that this deponent was selected by him for the first man, that while in that service Captain Woodworth went in pursuit of the Tories & Indians when each man took ten days provisions with the others accouterments on their backs after a March of a few hours  several days  they were ambushed & fired upon by the Indians - Captain Woodworth & twenty five of his Men were killed on the spot and two wounded who with the remainder fled to the fort -- this deponent was followed by three Indians & fired upon -- One ball passed between his legs & struck a log and through the bark in his face -- One ball passed through the crown of his hat the other near his head -- This deponent with fourteen others got back to the Fort with the loss of every thing but life & gun . . .

FREDERICK HALDIMAND PAPERS, Additional Manuscript #21767:224 [Letters from Guy Johnson to Frederick Haldimand]. Report of an action between a party of 74 Onondaga and Cayuga Indians command by Deigwand, an Onondaga Chief, & Lieutenant John Clement as reported by an Onondaga at [Fort] Niagara on September 18, 1781. The Indian messenger stated that they arrived near the German Flatts on the 8th of September, 1781 and at daybreak on the 9th noted that the Rebels were following their scouting party. Upon the Rebels arriving at the Indians fire pit from the night of the 8th, Lieutenant Clement and the Indians being a little distance from the Rebel party heard one of the rebels say Damn them They are gone off. The Indians were then formed into a half circle and when the Rebels were in pistol shot of their Centre they rose up, fired, and totally routed the Rebels. Of the Rebel party: three officers and 19 privates were killed. Eight Rebel privates were taken prisoner. Two Onondaga Indians were dangerously wounded. Among the Rebels killed were Captain Solomon Woodward a Noted Scouter and Lieutenant ____ Willson.

FREDERICK HALDIMAND PAPERS, Additional Manuscript #21767:226 [Letters from Guy Johnson to Frederick Haldimand]. A report given by the Onandaga Chief Otsitatago stating that he & his party had taken seven prisoners and one scalp at Cobus Kill and released three women. That his party had brought off twenty head of cattle. That Lieutenant [John] Clement of the Indian Department along with the Onandaga Chief Deigwanda of Onandaga had killed 22 Rebels including three officers and had captured eight Rebel privates. That Capt Woodward one of the Killed was amongst the most enterprising Partisans on the frontier and he with Capt McKean killed lately by Lieut Dachsteaders party have long been wished for by my Officers and Indians.

Contact the Author | Errata | Mohawk Valley Maps & Sketches | Return to Recent Discoveries in Mohawk Valley History

Return to Home